TunnelBear VPN is a Canadian virtual private network launched in 2011. The service redirects incoming/outgoing user traffic through a secure encrypted tunnel and replaces the user’s real IP to the address of the company’s server, making internet activity hidden from third parties, including providers. Check out this TunnelBear review to learn more about the app’s features.
TunnelBear offers several benefits:
· Password and data protection. Thanks to traffic encryption, you can safely conduct banking transactions, do online shopping, use passwords and other confidential information, even when connected to public wireless networks.
· Unlimited access to all sorts of content. Despite the numerous restrictions on content based on geo-ownership and other factors, you’ll be able to bypass any restrictions and gain access to their favorite content and game servers.
· Complete confidentiality. When using the Internet without a VPN, your activity can be tracked by the provider and passed to third parties, like advertising agencies.
As for the drawbacks, you can’t use the app for torrenting and P2P content, as well as accessing Netflix.
Privacy and security
TunnelBear uses different data transfer protocols: OpenVPN or IKEv2 for Windows and iOS and OpenVPN for macOS and Android. The default is 256-bit AES encryption.
To ensure data protection, the transmitted information is authenticated until its decrypted (its integrity is checked using SHA-256 cryptographic authentication tools).
TunnelBear is one of the world’s top five VPN services in terms of connection speed. The platform is capable of providing sufficient speed for streaming HD video content.
In some cases, the GhostBear feature using the obfsproxy technology can slow down traffic, but you don’t have to use it unless you need maximum security.
In order not to slow down the connection speed, make sure to select a server located in a nearby country or specify the automatic search for the fastest server.
The pricing policy is fairly simple. The platform offers three plans:
· Free plan. This one lets you test the quality of the service because TunnelBear doesn’t have a guaranteed refund option. The traffic volume is limited to 500 Mb/month.
· Unlimited plan. Use the app’s capabilities to the fullest and enjoy priority customer service from the support team for $ 4.99/month billed annually or $9.99 monthly.
· Team plan. Created for business clients looking to connect more than two users. Along with the main functionality, it includes centralized billing and a manager for working with clients. The price is $5.75/month per user. The package comes with a 7-day trial period.
All in all, TunnelBear is a user-friendly VPN service with a nice app interface and a free plan. If you value online security and anonymity and don’t need fancy features, it’s the solution you’re looking for.